1/17/2005

Great Blue Heron

Jack Evans spotted this heron when I was taking pictures of the Braefield Farm sign in December.

I was hoping to get a picture of the heron in flight, but he wouldn't budge.I found this information about the Great Blue Heron at Birding.com

Hunts by remaining motionless in shallow water and waiting for prey to come within striking distance.

So I guess he was waiting for lunch.


I've seen herons flying along the creek before, they fly low below the trees. With a 6 foot wing span, a heron in flight is an amazing sight. Birding.com describes the Great Blue Heron in flight..

Flies with distinctive slow, labored wingbeats, trailing legs behind and head folded back on shoulders


Heron at Pine Creek. Click to enlarge. 

2 Comments:

Blogger JanC said...

Hya Nancy, just poped in to see how ya'll doing. Pity the heron wouldn't take off, obviously more concerned with getting his lunch than giving you a good photo...how inconsiderate...lol. Hope your all ok.

8:38 AM  
Blogger The Evans Family said...

Hi Jan,

Hope you're doing well. Your right it was darn inconsiderate of that heron... I waited quite awhile

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home