9/14/2004

News From Sargent Dorm

Dear Parents of my Dear Advisees,

I have just shooed the last girls off to study hall after our first advisee/advisor dinner in my Sargent apartment. With heaping plates of pasta, we chatted about our fall sports teams, the red sox, and told fish stories (mostly goldfish stories). It was the first time that I have had alone with all 8 of my advisee girls, and I am throughly enjoying getting to know them. They are a friendly, supportive group and, as clear from our conversations share the goal of having a close-knit, respectful, and fun dorm.

After helpings of seconds, we played a thinly disguised 'getting to know you' game. I had been racking my brain to come up with something that wasn't too hokey, and that they hadn't done before. I literally tripped over my inspiration on the way to the kitchen and came up with the following question 'If you were a shoe, what would you be, and why?'. They submitted anonymous answers then we tried to guess who wrote what. Though apprehensive about how this idea would fly, they got into it and I loved the responses I recieved. Can you find your daughter's in the following answers?

A humble flip-flop-the popular choise...because:
I can be comfortable and good looking
They are comfy and well they are just comfy and go with everything
They don't smell
They are easy to slide on and off and friendly to your feet

Also:
Work boots because they are my favorite shoe
Bowling shoe because you get to meet a lot of people
A cowboy boot because I'd be bigger than everyone else
A high heel because it makes people tall

Afterwards we got down to serious business, and reviewed the rules and expectations.The girls who have been around for a while were great at answering the questions of the ones new to Holderness. After this round of advice and insight into how to have a successful year, it was time for an exceedingly silly session of charades. They could have done this for hours I think, but study hall beckoned.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful daughters with me. I hope we stay in close contact this year. I am excited about the postive energy in this dorm and have high hopes for a great year!

Best regards,

Erica Lipps
Holderness School
14 September 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home