5/29/2005

Mama Cille's Peony

I am delighted with my camera. I decided to try one of the special settings today and this picture of Mama Cille's peony is the result of the close-up feature. It is worth seeing this picture in the original, it's a long download but amazing detail. The link is here.


This peony, probably 'Festiva maxima', originated with John's Great Grandmother, Mama Cille. John's parents moved several peonies from Mama Cille's garden to their garden in Cold Spring Harbor. When Jack and Noreen were moving to Maine they brought 2 peonies to Bevery Farms, one each for John and his sister Anne.

I divided our peony into three plants. When John's sister Liz started her garden I gave her one of the peonies. I brought one peony to Topsfield when we moved and left one in my garden in Beverly Farms. I divided that peony into two plants. When we moved from Topsfield to Braefield Farm I brought one of the peonies and left one in my garden in Topsfield.

We now have two peonies ( I divided this one as well ) from the original rootstock here at Braefield Farm. The original peony was planted by Mama Cille at least 65 years ago.


Click picture to enlarge

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home