11/05/2006

Old Pictures of Braefield Farm

Sally March kindly sent me some family photographs of Braefield Farm. Sally's father grew up here in the 20's and 30's. Click on any picture to enlarge, you can find the album of these photos at this link to flickr.

Here is the painting of Braefield Farm shown at the top of the website for comparision. Click at this link to see a larger version, then select original.



In the first picture you can see the door into the livingroom, the door and the exterior trim are still there. Note how different the grade is in this first picture, the stone wall that terraces the side yard must have been built after these photos were taken.

The second and third picture show the front porch. It's interesting, there is stone on the side of the porch, but lattice on the front. The stone wall currently at the front of the house was constructed after this picture was taken (probably when the other stone wall terracing the side yard was built). The porch is Victorian and must have been changed at some point from what would have been an earlier porch. The timbers that supported the porch roof still remain and were likely there from when the house was originally built.



I think the boy on the sled is Sally's father, Orville March. Look carefully at his shoulder in the enlarged picture. The springhouse is visible in the first picture, but the vault into the hill must have been built sometime after this picture was taken. The tree behind the springhouse must have been ancient. We can't figure out where the steps shown in this first picture would lead.

In the second picture, a corner of the house is visible and if you look on the left just above the car you can see another building with the wash drying in front. This is likely that log cabin shown in the painting at the top of the website.




I don't think this is our barn. This picture of the barn does resemble the barn shown in the painting of Braefield Farm, but the silo seems to be in the wrong place and the addition seen in the photo has a different roof line than shown in the painting.

1 Comments:

Blogger Odette said...

Dear Evans Family,

Thanks for this blog. Braefield is a very precious place and it's intriguing to see who is living there now. I used to live in Braefield Farm. My father built the small run-in horse shed into a house where we lived, but I have not been back since I was 5 years old. I think now you call our house the cottage? Anyway, I would be so interested in talking to you more about Braefield. I'm sure there is lots you do not know, about the art and stories that your farm inspired. I am now making an independent film that explores this art and my memories of my childhood there. please contact me if you want, I'd love to talk more.

Best,

Odette

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home