10/12/2004

Politics.... this is the last time I promise

For 25+ years John's parents have had a group of friends spend a long weekend at Squam. Each year one of their great friends writes to commemorate the occasion. I always look forward to reading her verse. The entry this year is entitled "An Epiphany (of sorts)"


An Epiphany (of sorts)

Do politics drive you crazy? Have you had enough
Of name-calling, image bashing, accusations, lying, and bluff?

When Republicans rant and rave and Democrats complain and whine
Do you long for a monarchy with no partisan party line?

Do you wish states weren’t divided and coded red or blue
With the gray states a battleground for candidates old and new?

Do you care what Teresa says or what the Bushes’ daughters do
Or that Cheney’s daughter is gay or Alexandra’s blouse “see-through”?

When Kerry was seen to flip-flop or when George Bush’s syntax failed,
Why must the Times and the Journal make certain these guys are nailed

As for the cartoonist’ drawings, aren’t you tired of K’s jaw, G’s ears
And hearing about the good days when Bush 2 overdosed on beers?

Or about Kerry’s purple heart, given, it is claimed, for a scratch?
It’s a dog-eat-dog election. That’s our U.S. politics – natch

But politics are explosive, volatile and loaded with zest.
But wouldn’t you miss the whoop-la, the speeches, parades and the rest?

Now I’ve tried hard to stay neutral, but in doing so it’s been tough,
Thus I think I’ll now be truthful. (It’s allowed – I’m writing this stuff.)

I know that except for the XXXXXXX, none of you will vote as I wish.
I hope your candidate loses. Our country needs Kerry not Bush!


August 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home