10/28/2004

The 2004 World Champion Boston Red Sox

I highly recommend reading Bill Simmons account of game seven... He has it all, very funny.

Some Quotes from the Red Sox Websites :

Who do we play next? Isn't there some team in Japan we can beat or something? It's a good thing I don't have to go to work tomorrow.

We kept hoping. We kept the faith. We kept passing this team down from generation to generation, hoping it would be worth it. And it was. The last 11 days were the greatest sports ride of our lives: Eight games, eight wins, one Championship.

I have to admit, I was pretty worried about the total eclipse of the moon.

Some guys I'm remembering tonight; Carl Yastrzemski, Carlton Fisk, Fred Lynn, Dennis Eckersley, Bruce Hurst, Jim Rice, Rich Gedman, Bob Stanley, Dwight Evans, Bill Buckner, Oil Can Boyd, Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens, Dave Henderson...

The heartbreaks - 1975, 1978, 1986, 2003 - may never be erased but they are healed

I also thought of my old neighbor, Mr. Jim Lakis, a passionate Red Sox fan for more than fifty years. If you walked by Mr. Lakis’s house the day after Game Six back in ’86, you would have observed a shattered television in the trash, a baseball bat lodged right through the screen.

My dad listened to every game on the radio when I was a kid. I know that wherever we go when we leave this place, whether it's heaven or a cornfield in Iowa, he listened to this series and he is smiling.

Just called my Dad. Been waiting to make that call my whole life. "It happened in my lifetime!" he keeps saying


I wish I could have made that call to my Dad, he would have liked this team. The last game I remember watching with my Dad was Game Seven 1986.
Nancy



The Boston Globe. Click to enlarge Posted by Hello


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home